Covering 61,000 sqft of space on 3 floors, the studios are open to the public each Spring and Fall.
The Continental Gin Building was built in 1888 by Robert S. Munger to be a series of warehouses along Elm Street and Trunk Avenue used in the manufacturing of Cotton Gins which were distributed across the nation. At one point during the height of cotton manufacturing 1/6th of the worlds cotton was produced within a 150 mile radius of the building.
After the Continental Gin Company closed in 1962, it became an elevator manufacturing company in 1963. In 1982 the building was converted and revitalized into professional artist studio spaces it is known for today.
Walking in the hallways and corridors of the building reveals many original architectural details and original hardwood floors in the building leaving a creative evidence of the industrial past. As such, all the artists are careful about conservation of one of the oldest buildings in Dallas.
The building is generally closed to the public except during Open Studio events allowing a safe and quiet environment for artists to work. Tours and studio visits are by appointment only.
Artist Studio Spaces come available on occasion. We recommend filling out the contact information form for additional details of leasing studio space.